Now accepting applications for qualified individuals. Please read the job announcement below for qualifications and requirements as well as important dates.
All applicants must submit a volunteer application, resume, and attach copies of all current valid required certificates.
The volunteer application can be found by clicking or visiting this link:
Please email volunteer application, resume, and copies of certificates to:
Volunteer Auxiliary Firefighter
The Volunteer Auxiliary Firefighter is a volunteer, unpaid position and is not guaranteed for any length of time. This is a great opportunity for recent graduates from a California Accredited Fire Academy to receive volunteer
“on-the-job” training and experience.
Under the general supervision, the auxiliary firefighter responds to fire and medical emergencies with the City of Sierra Madre, maintains fire department records and correspondences, maintains department equipment, assist with
the department’s emergency medical program and assist with basic fire prevention activities.
The duties are normal for this position. These are not to be considered as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Fire suppression.
- Responds to emergency incidents.
- Perform and record daily checks of all Sierra Madre Fire Department emergency vehicles to ascertain readiness in accordance with Sierra Madre Fire Department, County of Los Angeles, State of California, and the U.S. Department
- Perform computer data entry for response attendance and training reports.
- Conduct weed and brush abatement inspections.
- Assist in inspection of multi-residential occupancies for compliance with applicable fire, life safety, codes and ordinances.
- Maintain inspection, investigation, training, attendance, fire and medical report records.
- Assist in Fire pre-planning; determines the size, shape and layout associated with buildings and areas.
- Perform First Aid and CPR Training to the community.
- Conduct station tours.
- Continually promote, in actions, words, and writing, the highest customer service standards.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- A High School education or equivalent;
- Completion of a credited fire academy
Licenses; Certificates; Special Requirements
- Possession of a valid California Class “C” Driver’s License or higher;
- Valid Emergency Medical Technician Certification License with the County of Los Angeles;
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation certification (CPR);
- Volunteer Firefighter 1 or higher within 16 months;
- Must pass the BIDDLE or CPAT within 12 months prior to application.
- Monday, January 5, 2015 – Applications Due
- Monday, January 12, 2015 - Written Exam 6:30 PM at 611 E. Sierra Madre Blvd., Sierra Madre, CA 91024
- Week of January 26, 2015 – Oral Interviews
- Week of February 23, 2015 - Evaluation
All potential recruits MUST ATTEND the written exam on January 12, 2015. The written exam will be held in the Sierra Madre Room, located at 611 East Sierra Madre Blvd, Sierra Madre CA 91024 – Recreation Center (time of exam
The time commitment for a Volunteer Auxiliary member is a minimum of one, 24-hour shift, one day a week, four days a month. Auxiliaries who become unavailable to fulfill their assignment because of other obligations shall submit
a memo to the Auxiliary Supervisor no more than two weeks prior to the affected date.
Application deadline: January 5, 2015
Candidates should visit www.cityofsierramadre.com and submit volunteer application, resume, and required certificates online.
Applications must be completed and demonstrate that the minimum qualifications are met. All statements made on the application are subject to investigation and verification. Resumes may be attached to completed application forms
as supplemental information, but will not be accepted in lieu of an official application form.
The Successful Candidates Must Pass
- Psychological exam;
- Pre-employment medical exam, including a drug/alcohol screening;
- Criminal background check;
- California Driver License (CDL) Review Process; and
- Reference and background verification, including a credit screening. References will not be contacted until a mutual interest has been established.
The City of Sierra Madre
The City of Sierra Madre is a unique foothill village located in Los Angeles County at the base of the San Gabriel Valley Mountains with a population of approximately 11,600. The City is a full service municipality operating under
the Council/Manager form of government. The City has approximately 65 full-time employees assigned to eight operating departments. The dedicated City staff provides excellent service to the community. The City was incorporated in 1907 as a general law city.
It has its own water department, library, and police department. The City is proud of its volunteer firefighters
Sierra Madre Fire Department Mission Statement
The Sierra Madre Fire Department will provide superior community service through the delivery of fire prevention, fire control, and emergency medical and public education services. We will support our mission with an absolute commitment
to community service, customer support, cost effective operation, training, and education.
Questions may be directed to Miguel Hernandez at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 626.355.7135 ext. 330. Applicants may wish to visit the City’s official website – www.cityofsierramadre.com – for further information.